Mike joined Grant Thornton as a Partner in 2013. Prior to that, Mike worked for 11 years in the European financial services and Cyber security consulting practices of two Big 4 firms. He advises clients in Ireland and internationally on a range of Cyber Security, Privacy, Fraud and Risk issues. During this time, he acted in Cybersecurity leadership roles for both UK and Ireland based financial institutions.
In addition, he has held technology roles in an Irish mobile telecommunications operator and a global management consultancy based in Germany. He currently leads a team providing a range of Cyber security and Privacy services to clients. Mike is also a frequent media commentator on Cyber matters including NewsTalk, RTE News at 1. 6-1 News, Irish Times, and others.
Mike has worked on a wide variety of projects. These include:
- Leading the incident response to a large scale Cyber attack for a public sector organisation
- Leading numerous Cyber security assessments, incident responses and investigations for a wide variety of sectors including technology, telecommunications, public sector, and financial services
- Developing and assisting with the implementation of a Cyber security strategic transformation programme for a large public sector body
- Leading a Cyber resiliency assessment for a large retail Bank
- Advising on Cyber security transformation and change programs
- Leading the provision of privacy transformation programs including a large GDPR implementation program for a financial services organisation
- Reviewing on behalf of an insurer, the response of a large banking institution to a Cyber incident that led to unauthorised funds transfers being made through a compromise of their SWIFT payments system
- Providing numerous penetration tests and secure code reviews for clients
- Assisting an investment manager remediate Cyber security controls (including Cyber governance, vulnerability management, breach response) after a regulatory inspection
- Providing Cyber security expert witness testimony in wide variety of matters including civil litigation in the High Court of Ireland and in international arbitration proceedings
*Mike operates from the Grant Thornton Ireland offices.
- B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Physics from University College Cork (UCC)
- Ph.D. in Computational Physics at the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research in Germany
- Certified Management Consultant
- Lectured on online security and fraud at University College Dublin’s Cybercrime Institute as part of the M.Sc. in Digital Investigations
- Member of the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)